Philip Marsh – Founder and CEO: Knowledge Management Institute Africa
B.Sc(Eng); Pr.Eng; Dipl.Bus.Man; G.D.E; M.S.A.I.C.E; M.I.C.E; M.I.Struct.E; C. Eng
Founder and Group Managing Director, Author, Chief Knowledge Architect, Master Mentor, Keynote Speaker and International Conference Presenter
Knowledge Management Institute (Pty) Ltd Group of Companies
Knowledge Management Institute (Pty) Ltd
KMI Inkaba Management Consultants (Pty) Ltd
Mentoring 4 Success (Pty) Ltd
Philip Marsh is the founder and CEO of the Knowledge Management Institute (Pty) Ltd Group of Companies, which have collectively been providing Critical Knowledge Transfer solutions and large group Knowledge Mentoring™ programmes, to major corporations and government institutions in Africa, since 1997.
Philip is one of the foremost experts on Knowledge Management and Structured Mentoring in Southern Africa and has established a high public and corporate profile as a respected thought leader and sought after corporate consultant and executive advisor, on a variety of knowledge-based, “strategic sustainability” business solutions.
Philip has appeared on the South African DSTV SUMMIT Executive Edge television program, discussing “Strategic Knowledge Management” for South African businesses, as well as the Mentoring 4 Success™ suite of Critical Knowledge Transfer programmes.
Philip is the author of a book entitled “Knowledge Mentoring™ – a framework for bridging the global scarce and critical skills and knowledge crisis” and is also a regular contributor to the Civil Engineer and Engineering Week magazines in South Africa, writing a series of articles on effective Knowledge Sharing and Structured Knowledge Mentoring™ practices for engineers and the construction industry.
Philip was honoured with the 2015 Global Knowledge Management Leadership award, at the Global KM Congress in Mumbai, India, in July 2015, for his paper and presentation “Knowledge Swarms and Experiential Hives – the critical and emergent role of the ageing knowledge experts in the engineering and construction sectors of developing countries”.
Philip sits on the Education and Training Panel of the South African Institution of Civil Engineers and has worked closely with the Department of Higher Education (DHET) and other government and stakeholder organisations, to prepare the South African engineering sector for the skills and knowledge challenges that the South African National Infrastructural Development Plan will present. Philip has also been a guest lecturer on Knowledge Management on the University of Stellenbosch, Construction Management Programme (CMP) and has collaborated and worked with the IKM Department at the University of Johannesburg, as well as the University of Pretoria.
Prior to establishing the KMI Group, Philip spent 15 years in the local and international engineering and construction sector, as both a consultant and a contractor, and held positions as Managing Director of a civil engineering company, as well as CEO of an international structural engineering software and component development business. During the late 80’s Philip was the Director of Structural Engineering with one of the main contractors on the Canary Wharf project in London, which was at the time, the world’s largest commercial development and led a team of nearly 100 engineers and technicians, He also led the R & D team who developed and launched two award winning technical innovations in structural engineering for high rise, composite floor construction and also served as a board member of an international, UK based corporation, during this period.
Presentations and Publications
- Philip Marsh presented a keynote address on “Knowledge Swarms and Experiential Hives – a model for nation building through knowledge mentoring” at the annual SACPCMP Conference at the Sandton International Conference Centre on the 28th October, 2016
- Philip Marsh presented a 3 hour masterclass on “Structured Mentoring in the Engineering and Construction Sectors” at the annual SACPCMP Conference at the Sandton International Conference Centre on the 26th October, 2016
- Philip Marsh presented “Knowledge Swarms and Experiential Hives – a model for nation building through knowledge mentoring” at the Learning Innovation Africa Conference, at the Turbine Hall in Newtown on 21st September 2016 – Video Link
- Philip Marsh invited as keynote speaker to present “The critical role of Structured Mentoring in Learnerships and Work Integrated Learning” at the 3rd Annual Learnerships and Work Integrated Learning Conference in Gauteng, 29th October 2015.
- Philip Marsh invited as opening keynote speaker to present “Knowledge Swarms and Experiential Hives” at the 8th Annual South African Council for Quantity Surveying Professional (SACQSP) Conference in Bloemfontein, 15th October 2015.
- Philip Marsh receives the Global Knowledge Management Leadership Award at the 2015 Global KM Congress in Mumbai, 23rd July 2015, for his paper and presentation on “Knowledge Swarms and Experiential Hives – the future of the ageing knowledge expert in developing and transformational societies”
- Philip Marsh presents concepts on “Structured Workplace Learning” to the KZN Annual General Meeting of the Association of South African Quantity Surveyors (ASAQS) in Durban on 10th June 2015.
- Philip Marsh will be presenting his work on “Preparing for the Scarce and Critical Knowledge Demands of the much vaunted National Development Plan – practical experiences and discussions to address a looming potential disaster and strategic national imperative” at the South African KM Summit from 27th to 29th May 2015 in Pretoria.
- Philip Marsh presents a 2 day “Knowledge Mentoring™” workshop for SARS executives and the SARS Learning Academy in September 2014.
- Philip Marsh presents a “Pecha Kucha” presentation format on “Knowledge Mentoring™” and also an extended workshop session for OD specialists and practitioners at the annual SAODN Flourish Conference on 18th and 19th August 2014 at Intundla Game Lodge
- Philip Marsh presents Knowledge Mentoring to an invitation group of CEO’s at the monthly Vistage / TEC Executive Round Table in Melrose Arch on the 24th July 2014Philip Marsh presents Knowledge Mentoring™ at the GIBS “Topic of the Month” on 30th June 2014
- Philip Marsh presents a 2 day Knowledge Mentoring™ executive workshop at GIBS on 29th & 30th July 2014
- Philip Marsh presented a 2 day Knowledge Mentoring™ workshop to a group of senior KM executives from various organisations at the Institute of Directors (IoD) on the 14th & 15th May 2014
- Philip Marsh presented a 2 day Integr8ed Knowledge Management Framework™ workshop to a group of industry experts at the Balalaika on 12th & 13th March 2014
- Philip Marsh presented “Managing Corporate Knowledge Assets as a means of ensuring Competitive Advantage” at 1st Annual South African Chapter Regional Summit on Strategic and Competitive Intelligence from 11th to 13 November 2013′.
- Philip Marsh was invited to present a lecture on “Structured Mentoring and Knowledge Transfer” in the Construction Industry, at the internationally acclaimed University of Stellenbosch, Construction Management Programme at the USB from 16th June to 12th July, 2013
- Philip Marsh was once again been invited to present a paper entitled “Critical Success Factors for making Structured Mentoring work in large organisations” at the annual Knowledge Resources Coaching and Mentoring conference at the Fairway Hotel and Golf Resort from 11th to 13th June, 2013.
- Philip Marsh presented “Using Structured Mentoring for effective Graduate Development” on the 25 Nov 2010 at the ARUP Annual Graduate Forum.
- Philip Marsh and Ilze Swanepoel facilitated a “Senior Academics Mentors Forum” on the 29 Oct 2010 at UNISA College of Human Sciences.
- Philip Marsh presented “Knowledge Transfer for Baby Boomers” on the 16 Sept 2010 at the IIR 4th Annual Engineering Manager Conference 2010.
- Marion Stone and Margaux Reitsma presented “Retaining Scarce & Critical Skills through Structured Mentoring” with Philip Marsh, on the 20 July 2010 at the Cape Chamber.
- Philip Marsh presented the “Thinking Mentor” on the 18 March 2010 at the Knowledge Resources 10th Annual Coaching and Mentoring conference.
- Philip Marsh presented a paper on “Knowledge Migration – the Human Capital Risk” at the 9th Annual Information & Knowledge Management Conference, hosted by the Department of Information & Knowledge Management (UJ) on 10th July 2009
- Philip Marsh presents a paper on using “Knowledge Management in Strategic Workforce Planning” at the CSD Strategic Workforce Planning conference on 1st July 2009 at the Arena in Fourways.
- Philip Marsh presents “Managing the Knowledge Risks of the New Economy” at the AMC Africa Strategic Risk Conference at the Royal Livingston hotel, Victoria Falls, Zambia from 10th to 12th June 2009
- Philip Marsh facilitates the “Integr8ed Knowledge Management Framework” Masterclass for EES-Siyakha Conferences on 29th & 30th June 2009
- Philip Marsh presented a keynote presentation on the “Integr8ed Knowledge Management Framework” at the AMC Knowledge Management and Intranets conference at the OR Thambo Sun Hotel on 12th May 2009 and was rated at 89% by the delegates.
- Philip Marsh presented “Developing an effective KM Strategy” at the Learning Organisations Conference at the Hyatt Regency on 18th March 2009.
- Philip Marsh presented “Managing Human Capital Risk through KM” at the annual IIR HR Africa Summit at Gallagher Estate on 26th November 2008.
- Philip Marsh presented keynote closing address “Knowledge Migration – the Human Capital Risk” at the national IPM Conference at Sun City on 7th November 2008
- Philip Marsh presents a paper on “Using Knowledge Management for Strategic Risk Mitigation” at the AMC Conference at the Royal Livingston Hotel from 18th to 20th June, 2008
- Philip Marsh presents a workshop on “Strategic Knowledge Management” for the Barclays Africa Leadership Programme in Dubai, from 11th to 19th May. 2008
- Philip Marsh presents “Knowledge Management for Strategic Advantage” at the Terrapin Training 5 Day MBA at the Grace Hotel, 23rd to 27th July, 2007
- Philip Marsh presents “Knowledge Management for Strategic Advantage” at the Terrapin Training 5 Day MBA at the Grace Hotel, May 2005 and again in November 2005
- Philip Marsh presents a paper on using “Knowledge Management and Structured Mentoring for Performance Management” at the Knowledge Resources Performance Management Conference at the Crowne Plaza, 21st to 22nd July 2004
- Philip Marsh presents at the Excellante International “Intelligent Knowledge Management Forum” at the Balalaika Hotel, 5thto 6th November 2002 and again from 12th to 14th August, 2003
- Philip Marsh presents at the Excellante International “Intelligent KM Conference” at the Victoria Junction Hotel, Cape Town, 19th to 20th February, 2003
- Philip Marsh writes an article entitled “Structured Mentoring in the Engineering and Construction Sector – Case Studies from the Best in the Business” for the March 2017 edition of Civil Engineering, published by the South African Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Philip Marsh writes an article entitled “The Art of Good Communication and Mentoring in the Engineering and Construction Sector” for the Feb 2017 edition of the Hard Hat Professional.
- Philip Marsh writes an article “Professional Registration Support Mentoring – and the emergence of the professional cyber-sage” in the Jan / Feb 2017 edition of Civil Engineering, published by the South African Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Philip Marsh is invited by author Marius Meyer, CEO of SABPP, to prepare a case study on “Structured Mentoring in the Engineering and Construction Sectors – lessons in excellence” for a book to be published by LexisNexis entitled “Managing Human Resource Development: A Strategic Learning Approach”. 5th Ed. Durban. LexisNexis IN 2017.
- Philip Marsh is currently preparing a paper on the subject of “Cascade Mentoring – mobilising the entire engineering value chain, to address the critical Skills and Knowledge Crisis in the South African construction sector in preparation for the National Infrastructural Development Plan” (still to be presented at the South African Knowledge Management Summit – May 2016
- Philip Marsh publishes an article entitled “Critical Knowledge Transfer” in the Human Capital Review on-line publication in Jan 2015.
- Philip Marsh publishes a 42 000 word book entitled “Knowledge Mentoring – a Framework to Bridge the Global Scarce and Critical Skills and Knowledge Crisis.” – self-published in May 2014.
- Philip Marsh published “Preparing the next generation of engineers – Group coaching and structured mentoring will be an essential element of success” in Civil Engineering October 2013.
- Philip Marsh – published “Expert Profiling – an essential knowledge based tool for Structured Mentoring Interventions” in Civil Engineering March 2013
- Knowledge Transfer” in Civil Engineering Jan/Feb 2012
- Philip Marsh – published “Intentional Story Telling as a tool for transferring knowledge and wisdom” in Civil Engineering June 2012
- Philip Marsh – published “Building Relationships of Trust – Part 2 of Effective Short Resume in Civil Engineering” January 2012
- Philip Marsh – published “Transferring Knowledge at the Speed of Intent – Part 1 on Effective Knowledge Transfer” in Civil Engineering May 2011
- Philip Marsh – published “Developing the future of the South African engineering talent pool through Structured Mentoring” in Civil Engineering Jan/Feb 2011
- Philip Marsh – co-authored “Bridging the Gap with Structured Mentoring” in Engineering News Oct/Nov 2010